No tickets will be sold at the door.
Saturday, May 22, 2021, 11am-7pm
Who’s excited for Brood X’s imminent emergence?! Celebrate the coolest cicada brood with art, music, cicada-cuisine, and community.
The cicadas have been emerging on the premises so our celebration will include them at every juncture. Visitors can tour Dr. Duke’s world-class medicinal herb garden, enjoy the musical offerings of our performers or take the stage yourself, make art using myriad supplies including cicada shells, and take part in the communal cicada sampling*.
Schedule of events:
- 10:30am Admission begins
- 11am Garden Tour (45 min)
- 12-1:45pm communal Cicada Sampling*
- 2pm Live Music: Dunn Goyle Salesmen
- 3pm Garden Tour (45 min)
- 4pm Live Music Teporah Bilezikian ft. Bud Stracker
- 5pm Open Stage to share your own cicada tribute
- 5:30pm Guided Embodiment practice inspired and informed by physical yogic practices
Other All Day Activities
- Kids’ Art (cicada coloring pages and nature collage)
- Community Art (collaborative cicada shell story-scape, sidewalk chalk)
- Jams (community created, in the woods, the field, by the pond – wherever strikes your fancy)
- Community, cicadas and other wildlife, and the verdant garden and grounds of The Green Farmacy Garden.
*Cicada sampling is entirely optional and community-offered. Try any, all, or none, of the cicada preparations (max 2 cicadas per person per preparation), bring your favorite sauce, or harvest and cook your own after sampling hours. Please note that cicadas are closely related to shrimp and people with shellfish allergies may react to cicadas – you are responsible for what you choose to ingest!
The Green Farmacy Garden is located on a 6-acre plot, 3 acres of which are wooded. There’s plenty of space for children to play and discover, families to spread out with picnics, and groups to arrange themselves into jam sessions (feel free to bring instruments! ).
Masks covering mouth and nose, and physical distancing, are required for the entirety of this event, and attendance is limited to 75 ticket holders.
- No charge for children 5 years old and under
- Free admission of one child aged 6+ per paid adult ticket
- Ticket rate for additional children is $15, enter Code “CHILD” at purchase to access this rate.
Please join us in responsible consumption and minimizing waste at this event: please bring a full, refillable water vessel to stay hydrated during your visit, and an unbreakable bowl for your samples. Drinking water will be available onsite to fill your water bottle as needed.
We recommend attendees home-cook or buy, and bring the food you’ll need for the day – cicada samples will not constitute a meal! Maple Lawn (3-minutes’ drive from the site), offers a variety of eateries, as does Clarksville (9-minute drive).
This event will take place in any safe weather conditions.
Please Note: Depending on field conditions, parking availability may be up to half a mile’s walk from the festival site, so factor that in to your planning!
We can offer free admission to a number of volunteers willing to work a 3-hour shift. Positions available include parking attendant, admission, water tender, and more.
We can also accommodate additional vendors.
Email email@example.com to join the team!
Click here for more information and registration!
Banner cicada image by C. Simon